Old 08-03-2007, 06:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
sobahinSF

It's my birthday and I hope you all will sing me HB!

Hi, I'm serious. Everyone who wants to stop for one minute in the help of alcohol and addiction treatment and celebrate my birthday I would love to hear your voices and applause. In August of 1984 I picked my 30 day chip. In my area you had to raise your hand until thirty days and I had already figured out sobriety and clean time birthdays were very celebrated in my new community. I called the local center for info and with the help of a just as obsessed volunteer I planned out my month. I picked up*30 -30 day chips. I went to 30 Birthday Meetings. I taught everyone I know my birthday was important to celebrate. My dad bought a cupcake and withone candle sung me Happy Birthday for my 90 days. He informed Mom of the importance of this and even the still abusing in my family call me, send me cards or throw a party of their own. It is 23 years after my 30 in 30, or thirty meetings for my thirty days, and on July 29th I had the band play Happy Birthday to me but only a few knew what birthday. Most thought I was turning 50 and brought my 9 year old grandaughter along. I am 49, she is 9 and she likes to celebrate my birthdays and she is my kid. At age 26 entering treatment I looked younger than I do today. Young peoples then considered 45 old and then the declaration in '86 the age of young now 40. I am young, did my service work and sponsoring and worked my steps and I am asking for a moment of non-silence to celebrate my birthday. Here we go............... 23 years......... Do we have anyone celebrating 23 years tonight............. applause......standing ovation......... whoops and whistles and party loud enough to scare the newcomers back to the treatment facility.
Thanks for singing. New comers to sobriety or off drugs no matter how or for how long it does not matter. All that matters is you know how to sing happy birthday and your organization can teach you the rest. Thank you!!!!!