View Single Post
Old 07-30-2007, 03:52 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
ShawMac

Welll..... here goes a post as I ponder(weak and weary).It seems to me that most of the folks Ive seen exhibiting wahat I consider to be "bad" behaviour(intolerance,judgementalism,dogmatism,pub licly critical of others,public-and private rudeness,egotism,chest-beating etc) seem to be heavily involved with the culture and practises of the fellowship. They all possess long-term sobriety,attend meetings daily(for years),never fail to speak at each meeting,using(over-using?) the accepted lingo and catch-phrases,heavily involved with the buisness meetings,regularly attend conferences,carry special edition copies of the Big Book at all times and can readily quote the Book at the drop of a hat(sometimes citing the page!) Kind of looks and sounds like someone practising religion to me. The folks Ive met in AA who display tolerance of others,seem non-judgemental,are curtious(public and private),open-minded,non dogmatic ALSO have long term sobriety BUT... they attend meetings less frequently,speak only occasionally,use the lingo and catch phrases less frequently,dont attend conferences on a regular basis,quote the Big Book in-frequently and do service work anonymously (or nearly so).Hmmmm....... Well CJ-50,
I am compelled to recount a recent incident to you.Ive been trying to stay away from recounting incident after incident or making a litany of "bad" behaviour examples, and stick to discussing a larger picture. The incident--- A "friend' of mine who lives Three houses up from me would give me a ride to a meeting at anytime (they never missed). I cant drive (DUI).This person fits the description of the first group of people I mentioned above. After my relapse this person informed me that they would no longer give me a ride and from here-after i'd"have to walk"(of course my feelings were hurt).Sadly, I just recievedword that this person has also relapsed(after 12 years of sobriety).Looks like the AA "soldier-zealots" are just as vulnerable as myself.Peace Out to All.