View Single Post
Old 07-27-2007, 02:11 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Taking5

What I've found in meetings is closed system: god has a "plan" for you and you should do his "will" (not all concepts of god are compatible with that statement); all you need is the Big Book (if it isn't in the big book, don't talk about it); you have to do what we tell you to do to get sober (we have the secret); if you don't like it leave; we don't want to hear what newcomers have to say - shut up, sit down, & listen; you have to call yourself an alcoholic to participate in the meetings (admitting you have a problem with alcohol & having a desire to stop drinking it not enough).
I have never experienced any of the above in an AA meeting, except for one old timer telling me newcomers should be seen and not heard. When he said that 3 or 4 people came to my defense when it was their turn to share.

It is really sad that there are AA groups like that. If it was like that, or ever becomes like that, in my home group I'll be gone ASAP.

It is actually an eye opener for me to realize that this type of behavior is common.