View Single Post
Old 07-25-2007, 04:53 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Jfanagle
Another Day in Paradise

I have found in my case, and that my friends is the only case I am certain about, that spirituality is an individual set of beliefs and mores. The religion that I was raised in and no longer participate in was very much a "group" set of values that those who wanted to be in THAT particular group chose to adhere to.

In my life I have found a need to place trust in and rely upon a higher power, but my power is by no means something that I am trying to sell, peddle or even interest anyone else in. It is totally internal. I could not conceive of, nor do I care to try and sort out the day to day battles without this source of enlightenment. However, it is mine alone and does not require any outside validation for me to rely on the direction that I get from this universal mind.

Here we go ShawMac, this source of strength is as necessary in MY life as water is to survive. If I had to define or portray MY concept of Spirituality v. Religion it would not be the missing proper nouns, although that is a good way to set the two apart from one another, at least on the face.

Spirituality to me is just WATER, a must to survive, but without any distinguishing characteristics. Religion can be water, but comes to the end user as Perrier, Fiji water, flavored and unflavored. Devotees usually chose the water for the taste and have very definite opinions about the value of one over another.

I believe that I have to have "something" to quench my thirst for direction and to replenish my resolve when sheer will power isn't enough, but even "tap water" will do the trick if I get it often enough and in sufficient quantities.

Just my opinion and certainly MY experience.

Jon