View Single Post
Old 07-25-2007, 04:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
cali
came-came to-came to believe

I posted this in another forum because that's really the only place I post lately however I remember coming here and making the original post about my father so I wanted to give an update to my situation-I went to see my father whom I have not seen since 1992 and before that it was 1982 so there were long gaps. I simply am going to copy and paste--here it goes
My visit went as well as I could have ever hoped for. Thank you all so much for your concern and kind words.

I went to see my father, whom I had not seen in many years. He is an alcoholic and left many years ago. He was very frail but he has not had a drink in about 6 years. My mother came with me. We were able to sit with him and tell him that we speak of him often and that he is missed, and loved.
We sat and shared where we are with our lives, and he did say “alcohol sure did ruin my life”. I knew while I was there that the most important thing at this stage in the game to make sure that he knows that he is loved, and forgiven. Through our sharing, I believe that he does now know this.

I embrace him for the person that he is today, not who he was yesterday.
There were pictures of my sisters and I all about his apartment. I know he has loved all of us over the years in whatever capacity he was capable of.

We all hugged and shared smiles, not tears at the end of our time together. I left there knowing that if I never see him again, I will remember forever the bittersweet meeting with this man that I have longed for my whole life.

God has granted me freedom from my bondage of guilt and heartache surrounding my dad.

I can let go and know that we did the next right thing—to simply love someone who so needs it.

Instead of resenting and pushing away, we forgave and pulled close.

I know now that walking in forgiveness and love will allow me to stay in the light.