View Single Post
Old 07-23-2007, 12:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Spiritual Seeker
get it, give it, grow in it

Exclamation What are Al-Anon's BIGGEST lessons?

Today I won't argue with reality. It just is and I don't know that it should be any other way. Al-Anon is a way if life, there is no finish line. Al-Anon helped me to understand that addiction is a sickness which can't be oversome unless the addict is willing to help himself. Now I can laugh at myself and how I viewed the world before Al-Anon. I know that serenity is NOT the absence of conflict, but my ability to COPE with it.The Al-Anon program places great emphasis on positive qualities, but I could only do it when the negatives had been sorted out. The healing began and my life changed when I became aware of a Power greater than my ego. I know that I have NO RIGHTto expect that my solutions will solve other's problems. I recognize that my burdens need not crush me. My heart had to be broken in order for my HP to enter. My BIGGEST LESSON: I know that when I try to control, my life becomes unmanageable!! UNLESS I stand firm upon the 1st step, the other 11 fall apart under me. I have true friends in Al-Anon, so I do not walk this path alone.
Every min. that I am sad, costs me 60 seconds of happiness. Just for today: I will look my best, I'll not say one critical comment,.
Today I choose to be happy. What do you choose today? What is your biggest lesson from Al-Anon or that you hope to learn in recovery?