View Single Post
Old 07-20-2007, 10:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Hangin' In
Southern through and through

Yes, I've been to a good many open meetings and I always learn something. I've learned more about the struggles of the addicted person. And I've also learned that my changed behavior, mainly getting out of the way, is necessary if I want the alcoholic/addict to take control of their own life.

A friend of mine was really struggling when her son had his last relapse. She attends Al Anon regularly, but relapsed herself right back into her fear and worry. She called my sponsor who is a double winner...both in AA and Al Anon, looking for some help as to what she could do to get herself back on track, recovery wise. My sponsor told her she wanted her to start going to open AA meetings. My friend said she cussed and fussed and stomped her feet, so aggravated that she had been told to attend yet another meeting. So she went to the first open meeting, mad and resentful, as she got out of her car. Said the meeting was informative and enlightening. She went back the next week, and the next week, and the next week, and still goes to one open meeting a week.

She laughs now at how angry she was with my sponsor for her telling her to go to open meetings. She says that is one of the best things she's added to her life and considers them just as important as her Al Anon meeting.