View Single Post
Old 07-16-2007, 06:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
pkavanagh

Hi mlynn, I can very much relate to what you wrote. The words of encouragement that I would offer are what I tell myself during the difficult times (like right now for me, actually), so here goes.

A couple of the slogans to focus on during these times are 'this to shall pass' and 'easy does it'. This is not forever. You have had 18 months of postive growth, that is to be celebrated! That is awesome. On the other hand, it is not reasonable to expect that we will not have difficult times. Melody Beatty does a great job of outlining this in 'Co-dependent No More'. I think she calls it 'Cycling' or recycling. The idea is that our progression very rarely takes a purely upward climb. More like an upwardly moving spiral. Times of relapes or difficulties even necessary. It is during these times that we have lessons to learn that will help us continue on our upward journey.

Try to be gentle with yourself. You are not back at the beginning. There is something in your life or yourself that needs to be worked on/learned. If we work the program, do the right things, and turn it over to our higher power at some point we will understand why we needed to spend a little more time back in the uncomfortable space. That is ok, normal, and it sounds like you are making very good progress.

Hope this is helpful. Take care.