Thread: Ghost Stories!
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2003, 05:41 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
smoke gets in my eyes

okay... mine makes a good segway because it's about a passed on loved one, but it's still funny.

My Dad drove an '88 Lincoln. He passed away several years ago... and I got the car. I love it. People get out of your way and I can haul tons of stuff in it. Dad was a mechanic. Some of the best memories I have of him are when he was getting older and couldn't do much of the work on our cars any more. So he would tell me what to do while he watched. He got kind of a kick out of his daughter being a grease monkey. So we were bonded in the automobile dept. not only because I was driving his car, but because of the time we spent working on them together.

I'd been driving the car for almost a year when the horn started blowing all by itself. I could get it to stop by tapping it. One time my friend Donna was in the car with me, and it went off and scared her half to death. As a joke, I said "It's just Dad saying hi". The horn stopped and I didn't touch a thing. After that I would just say hi to Dad whenever it happened and it would stop. When it was happening with some frequency, it was always a precursor to finding something dangerous wrong with the car. I got in the habit of checking. The time it went off in the middle of the night and woke up all the neighbors, the tie rod broke the next day. Now over time... this kind of got annoying to other people. So I disabled the horn. Then he started in with the dome lights. But all I have to do to get them to turn off is say hi.