View Single Post
Old 07-14-2007, 09:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sav
Sav

Originally Posted by All for my son View Post
I live in VA and I left my AH several months ago. He continues to be verbally abusive and constantly calls me, text messages and emails with threatening and belittling language (I keep it all on record). I am sick of it. My divorce atty won't do anything about it. I am afraid he is doing the same to our one year old son. He started making demeaning comments to him at one week old. Can I get a restraining order against him? Will verbal abuse keep him from getting any more visitation (he threatens to take it to court to get 50/50 custody)? Is there anything I can do??

Someone else said it, make sure you haqve a recording of the conversations.

Your situation is family court, and restraining orders are easy to get that way. If your divorce attorney won't do it, then something's wrong. At the very least, he should be instructing you how to go about it. Is he a good attorney?

I had to go through this, but it wasn't family so it was much more difficult (Had a brain damaged (literally)) neighbor who is a serial stalker who started in with my wife and then me.
We had to go down and take out a complaint (same for family court, I think) and then set a date for trial and all that.

Just be aware when you do this, it will probably excalate to a whole new level. Be prepared. One thing you can do is get one of those little 20 minute video recorders at Duane Reade for $30 and use that if he approaches you. You might want to consider mace too. People go crazy when it gets legal, and take advantage of the slow and plodding way the courts work to try to use imtimidation to wear you down.

Don't let that happen! If you back down he'll assume you'll never be seroius, and he can intimidate you any way he wants.

Good luck!