Thread: Siblings
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2003, 05:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
journeygal
believer

Hmmm, remember that distant relationship I have with my parents? It's sorta that way with my brother too. However, it's a lot more heartbreaking b/c I see him all the time (he and his wife live 20 min away), I'm very protective of him, and he's always looked up to me. On the surface we're "close" and we really enjoy each other's company. Hubby and I hang out with him and his wife as often as we can. But we've never really discussed our childhood or anything meaningful and if he has any struggles today, I know nothing about it. I know he fought a lot with both mom and dad after I left the house, but I don't know if we have different memories of the time when we were both living at home. We've never compared notes...

When things were really bad at home he would call me and tell me about it. But once he left home, those type of conversations ceased.

If I could become closer to anyone in the world, it would be my brother. But having never bonded with any family member, I have no idea how to go about it, or if he would even welcome it. I have managed to bond with his wife, so it's a start...

Sorry, am I off topic?