View Single Post
Old 07-10-2007, 08:28 AM
  # 146 (permalink)  
Babs

Well, Ray, since you asked.....

Originally Posted by dakotaboyd View Post
when do the words I here take effect in my life?...................... What is the catalyst from words to effect?
For me it is like my piano teacher sponsor tells her students......."Practice makes permanent." There is no magic involved.

In the beginning, I heard the slogans and read the steps but they were abstractions. They weren't part of my automatic response reflex. After being around people in recovery for a while, I kept being asked the question, "Now which step applies to this situation?" or "What slogan can you use here?" I would literally sort through them, one by one, until I found the one that gave me direction or solace. It took work to change my thought processes. I had to practice, practice, practice.

And it didn't happen quickly. I had to make the choice to make it happen. I attend meetings.... LOTS of them. I read strong, spiritual literature....daily. And a huge one for me is that I listen to speaker tapes in my car whenever I am driving. I inundate myself with their healthy words. I started to find myself quoting them to others.

At first they were other people's words, but in time they became MY words. Slowly but surely, my thoughts started following those words. The healthier word patterns led to healthier thought patterns, and the healthier thought patterns led to healthier actions.

That is how it is for me. When I do the work, I get the progress. I wish I knew of an easier way, but I don't.

I love you guys,
Babs