Old 07-08-2007, 09:49 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
liesagain

I am not sure about the legal issues..................but I have alot of experience with the evaluations..........we've ( our family) been thru a few in the long custody battle for custody of my stepson

It was scary and as a mom you dont want your kids exposed to "interviews" but let me tell you what we found in our eval...............stepson had wants and wishes and valid reasons for those things..................his imput was valuable and in the end resulted in a compromise of sorts...........between the parties.............

If the evaluator is good and works with children your children could benefit from being able to speak freely to someone who can be unbias and really listen and form opinions........at least that was our experince

plus the evaluator was able to identify things that we the parties were too involved with to notice...............

as for the line of questions....../interview
the kids draw pictures, fill out fill in the blank questionares, tell stories to picture cards...etc
then the child meets with the doctor with each parent seperately.......doctor watches them play and interact......then talks to child asking things like...........tell me something fun about you and dad..........tell me something not so fun............

they dont put the child in the middle and say....tell me all the bad things about mommy or daddy......they really are just interested in the dynamics between the parent and child from the child perspective.........

they also ask the child about schedule type stuff............who hewlps with homework who takes you to sports who takes you to doctors etc...........and if your the one that does all those things.............better for you in the event of a custody dispute...........because you've been the PRIMARY caregiver.........
good luck!!! hang in there