View Single Post
Old 06-30-2007, 06:49 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
outonalimb

((((lies)))))

I was in a very similar type of situation with my exah's daughter. She was about the same age as your stepchild when my exah was out using drugs and running from rehabs. Her biological mom wasn't in prison or an addict but she was neglectful of her daughter and therefore she spent 90% of her time at our home. I felt so badly for this child...I had been her step-mom since she was 3...I wanted SO BADLY to do the right thing for her and protect her, as best I could, from her dad's drug use and her neglectful mom.

What I realized, after alot of prayer and consideration is that I could not assume that this child was better off with me than her biological mother. I didn't have a leg to stand on in terms of taking custody of her away from her mom. It wasn't my place. This child returned to live with her mom but I always kept the door open for her at our home. My former step-daughter, who is now 14, spends almost every weekend and every holiday with me. She still calls me 'mom'. She knows I am here for her...always...even if she doesn't live with me..and even if her father and I are divorced.

You don't have to make any decisions TODAY about how to handle this situation. Sit on it for a while and pray for guidance. Whether this child goes back to his bio. family is out of your control completely (unless, of course, there are substantial reasons why he should't be there). The most important thing you can do is let him know that you love him, that you'll always be there for him, and that your home and heart will always be open to him if he has to return to his biological family. Its not an IDEAL situation...not by far...but in this situation, it might be the best thing you can offer. Don't underestimate the influence you have had on this child's life. It sounds like you've given him love and a stable home environment. You may not be able to prevent him from having to leave, but you can remain a stable, loving force in his life.

Like I said, you don't have to decide all of this today. Sit with it a while and pray. The answers will come.

I'm sorry you're going thru all of this...again.
I pray you find the peace you need in your life.