Thread: Ghost Stories!
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2003, 10:23 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Daffodil
Queen of one liners

Here I am back with a true "ghost story just for Dinotar,

Back in 1963 we bought our first house at the end of a dead end street, close enough to see the roof tops of our neighbors but far enough away that we'd feel sucluded...

The perious owners had left early that morning. I arrived shortly after noon to do clean-up work as they had left in a hurry...The living quarters were all on the top floor with a half basement under neath it. A joining the basement was a long narrow screened in porch, with a door at each end....

After sorting through all the things they had left up stairs I started carrying it down stairs so we could haul it off to the dump... On one trip down stairs I heard footsteps walking around in the upstairs....empty houses have such strange sounds any way..so up the stairs I went to see who was walking around....But there was no one there..I had left the front door open to air out the house while I worked.....Now it was closed....

O.K. I think the wind blew it shut... so this time I propped it open with an old chair....

Again I take a load down to the basement.....AGAIN I hear footsteps upstairs.....Up I go looking for whoever is walking around my house without my permission.....The door is still closed....but there is no one there....and no footsteps either...

Suddenly I hear footsteps in the basement...now I am getting really ticked...So being the brave wee soul that I am, I go running down the stairs to find.....

NO ONE THERE!

Alright this time I'll fix them...Up the stairs I go, lock the front door, and down the stairs I go looking for who ever is driving me crazy with this stupid game....

Now in this basement there are five small rooms with one way in and one way out...so I firgue I've got them for sure.. I lock the door onto the sun porch (we didn't have many sun porches here in the NW back then)

I begin to check out each room as I came to it.....Nothing unual in any of them, just junk the owners had left....Now I am ticked but still very, very brave...After all this is my first real, ever, dream house and no one is going to get away with this....

I decide that who ever it was had to have left out the door leading to the sun room....Unlocking it out I go...More junk!.....I checked the door at the North end of the porch...It's locked up tight....I go to the other end of the porch to check that door and it isn't locked.....so I open the door only to find that here is another small room I'd never seen before...It's more than a little dark inside......so I open the door wider.....

that's when I saw "IT!"....

"It" was sitting there on an old wood stove......

In a glass case......

"It" almost seem to be smiling.....

Needless to say I beat my feet up those stairs as fast as I could. opened the front door, ran to my car and drove to the highway to wait for my prince in shinning armor to come into town from work....After all I am no dumbie! There's no way I will stay in that house with "IT" one minute longer without MAN POWER to back me up....

Into town he came in his 53 Ford....Candy Apple Red it was....Oh that's another story...

Anyway I proceed to tell him why I am waiting for him there when we were to meet at our new house....HE LAUGH! He then told me he knew about the extra room but he didn't know about "IT" being in there....BUT being the Prince that he is...He'll go back with me and check things out... WELL, of course, he really didn't believe me about the footsteps or the door, or about "IT" even through he is Irish.

So here we go, into the house, everything as I left it upstairs, down the stairs...him in front of course, through the basement, out onto the sun porch down the length of it to the small dark room.......and opening the door (again),

still sitting on the wood stove is "IT"....

No footsteps could be heard this time, maybe a creack, but old houses do that when empty you know.....Well, Himself isn't laughing anymore....

He couldn't have been more surprised that I was when I saw "IT"

There sitting on the old wood stove

In a glass case

Looking almost as if it was smiling

was a real human skull!!!!!!!!!!!