View Single Post
Old 06-21-2007, 02:41 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
pedagogue

Originally Posted by NEEDTOBESOBER View Post
I have been taking either Klonopin or xanax, currently taking xanax for about 4 years and I also have an alcohol problem which the xanax helps me to not drink , but and form of benzo such as xanax is very hard to get off of, My advice would be to not take it and ask if the Doctor can give you something else.
*not medical advice.....just my own musings, take with a grain of salt*

Yikes. Your PD probably should have known better about the xanax, it is VERY problematic to get off of, and is usually ruled out when there is a history of substance abuse (all benzos should be nixed, at least for the first couple of options, they have all sorts of issues when you get past the 'they work really well!' part).

There have been some great research to support a Klonopin taper vs a Xanax taper, so it is a less abrupt withdrawal).

Benzos act on the same channel, which is why it helps you not to drink....bc you get the same basic response on the chloride channel. Unfortunately it is quite reinforcing (much like the drinking), so you have the physical dependence + psychological dependence.

So yeah....benzos, definitely have some concerns.

-p