View Single Post
Old 06-20-2007, 01:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
kanga

Going Through Something New Here

Lately, I've had several feelings I've never had before...it's where all of a sudden, I find myself really angry and resentful of anyone that is an addict or alcoholic. Why it's happening now, I'm not sure. I live with an a and he is working on staying clean. (Has been for three months so far.) We were together a couple years before that. I grew up in a dysfunctional home. I've been to Alanon, worked the steps, etc. But, now it just seems like everytime I hear the words, "Oh, well, I'm an alcoholic (or addict)," the first thing that pops into my mind is, "Oh, you've always thrown your responsibilities on other people, huh?" (I'm just being honest here about what is going through my head)--then I think about how I would never have had time to be an A even if I wanted to--I have a child, responsibilities, etc., etc. Some a's have responsibilities, but they push them off on other people. Yes, I'm one of those people those responsibilities have gotten pushed off on in the past. So why am I angry now, out of the blue? I also notice, since I've been standing up for myself and just saying no that the A seems to feel the right to become angry at me for something that he is the reason he's in that position to begin with. It makes me angry that they don't get mad at themselves, but angry at you for not driving them everywhere (like when they don't have a driver license.)

Another problem I have is I set boundaries, my A doesn't believe those are permanent even when I say they are permanent.....just like a child, he'll keep asking and asking....ugh!

I hope this posts makes sense. It's just something that keeps coming back to me that I haven't been able to shake. Has anyone else ever had this same type of experience? Anyone have any ideas? Thank you.