Thread: Ghost Stories!
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2003, 05:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
smoke gets in my eyes

Well, he's got his little green lips all stuck out. So I'll tell another one...

The Gazebo

In a town called Ogunquit in Maine there is a bed and breakfast called the Gazebo. I stayed there in the mid 80's with a couple of women friends. It's an old farmhouse that was built in the early 1800's that they have put some additions on. When we were there it was not exactly tourist season, so we got to stay in the main house. It was all so pretty and calm. My room was right next to my friends' room. It was really tiny. You pretty much had to crawl into the bed from the foot of it, which was just far enough from the door for it to be able to open. My friends had a bigger room... there were two of them. What I was in must have been a storage room or a sewing room or something like that. When I said goodnight to my friends and started for bed, I started getting the creeps. I can't define it. I was just scared. I felt so stupid, I couldn't tell them, but I was lying there terrified. I didn't know of what. They had bought an amulet for me at a renaissance fair that was supposed to ward off evil. I certainly didn't take that seriously... it was just cool and pretty... and in my suitcase. I was so distressed I actually got out of bed and put it on, then pulled the covers over my head. It seemed like forever, but I eventually fell asleep. In the middle of the night, there was very loud banging on my door. I thought it was K. and called to her. No answer. I went to the door... nobody. I got back in bed. Just as dawn was coming up, I heard more banging. This time it was on the roof, and I heard men's voices. I was really annoyed. I thought "Why in the world are they fixing the roof at dawn with people sleeping in here???" I went back to sleep.

A couple of hours later, K. really did knock on my door. She came in, and I sat straight up in bed and said "this place is haunted". That was really kind of strange, because I hadn't actually processed that thought until that moment. K. gasped. "Did you see it too????"

"SEE it? No ... I heard it. What did you see?"

She saw a man in colonial dress enter their room by the doorway and exit through an armoire. She couldn't sleep either. She showed us where the ghost walked, and we went down to breakfast.

Because we were the only guests that weekend, the owner was serving us breakfast. We attacked him immediately. No. No one was working on the roof. Haunted? His partner had said he heard the voices but he thought the guy was just trying to scare him. Through the armoire??? Wait a minute. The room K. and C. were in had just been remodeled. The owner showed us pictures of the room before it was redone. Where the armoire now stood on what was a solid wall had been a doorway... into my room. The ghost was just doing what he used to do.

C. and I wanted to stay another night. C. felt really cheated that she missed the ghost. K. wanted to leave RIGHT NOW. So we did. But someday, I will go back.