View Single Post
Old 06-15-2007, 07:23 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
CRCounselor

Pantheist here, checking in....new kid on the block here too! <smile>

I sang in the chruch choir for years, taught sunday school, etc. many years of dedicated service. I was brought up in a Church that said, "If we get just one message across to you, please let it be that God is Love". That was pretty cool esp for me since my friends were being brought up in the church of damnation. lol

For me it comes down to.....what do you believe in? I believe in me and not in any narcisstic way but just me. <smile> Also, being a Pantheist means believing in my fellow man and in the earth, respecting both.

We all tend to want to believe in something because it validates our existence and meaning. Why can I not cherish you and the good earth that provides for us?
We fear being alone, we fear death and so we cling to some higher power in hopes that there is a better life afterward. Life for me is now, not later.

IF there is a God (and you can explain who God is for you, if you wish) <smile>, then my actions toward my fellow man and the good earth will probably be seen as "worthy" of entry into this divine kingdom.

We are all brought up with various Beliefs and Values. I was brought up with religion however it is far more valuable to me to believe in me and believe in you than in something that might be.

Prayer is much like meditation. If we pracitce some time out, we will probably get to some calm and rational thinking.

Organized religion appears to have brought much war throughout history and even today.

Spirituality is believing in something outside of ourself. I do best to believe IN myself. <smile>

But I will admit that the Bible is filled with some great stories and parables to learn from like "Love one another" and "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you" along with dont kill, etc. One of my favorite is the story of the boy with fish and bread. The multitude had followed Christ into the dessert and just one boy brought food. LOL Think about it <wink> and you may discover a much more basic "miracle".

But what of other religions and faiths? Which is the "correct" one? I would imagine its the one you believe in! <smile> If I dont believe, am I less valualbe as a person?

Yes, I still feel small when I stand beside the ocean; whenever one door closes, I hope one more opens........... this is for me to make happen.

But I will end with a phrase my mother taught me: "Life is God's gift to you; what you do with your life is your gift to God." That being said, it is still up to ME to decide on my life. Prayer, meditation, mindfulness, etc are some of the ways to get there.

Thank you for allowing me my perspective! <smile>