View Single Post
Old 06-15-2007, 06:54 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
tyler
Not all better, getting better

Hi Nan, I guess I work a "hybred" program. I use parts of AA/NA, SMART, Lifering, various recovery material I recieved in my stints in rehab, a theripist who specializes in addiction and CBT, and of course, posting here at SR.

This site was my introduction to sobriety. I wish I could say I've been clean and sober sence I joined 5 1/2 years ago, but I had to go through much more before I learned what I had to. Been clean for about a month and a half now, doing it for MYSELF for the first time. I held on to the belief that I could still drink, but I've accepted not that that is not going to work for me either.

As far as the one day at a time thing...I find it very helpful. My interpertation of the concept is that all you have to do is not drink TODAY. If you do that enough times, days become weeks, months, years, etc. The idea is to stay in the moment. Many of us have lost a great deal due to our substance abuse and spending too much time worrying about the future can be overwhelming. Don't know if that helps, or maybe just comitting to quitting forever is better for you. Take care.