View Single Post
Old 06-12-2007, 06:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Lunapro

Hi Chiynita -

I don't think your post is out of line in the least.

I think that there are a fair number of people in 12 step programs that truly believe that recovery is not possible without a higher power. It is just what they believe and know, so when they are not responsive to your questions, I believe they're trying to help - it's well intentioned. I think there's a bit of an ingrained distrust for any recovery that goes outside of the 12-steps - that it's a dry drunk or a relapse waiting to happen, and no one wants to see that. I happen to disagree, but this is, I believe, where some AAers are coming from. (From what I've observed, relapse seems just as likely for those in AA as for those outside of it.)

Recovery is certainly possible without 12 stepping, but, as zencat has said, it does require commitment and effort. It's not so bad, though. Personally, I'm enjoying the heck out of the journey.

At any rate, there is a stickie at the top of this forum with links to a number of secular programs. I'd encourage you to check them all out. The number of face to face meetings that any of them provide are far less than you'll find in AA or NA, however.

Good luck to you, and I look forward to talking with you. We get some interesting conversations going.