Thread: Left AA?
View Single Post
Old 06-08-2007, 09:33 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
paulmh

So DK, yet again I feel like I've arrived at something new, and you're able to point me in the direction of proof that I'm just riding a recovery zeitgeist!

You know one of the beauties of AA Tyler? Where you say quoting the BB as if it were scripture can be a big turn off for newcomers - I couldn't agree more. But what is AA really, really good at? Helping people in abject crisis. And what's the last thing we need when we're in crisis? Equivocation. Options. Uncertainty. Well you could try this, or maybe this, or have you thought about this? But in crisis, what one gets is a simple, unambiguous set of instructions - avoid the first drink, one day at a time and keep coming back. Mixed in with a load of ESH - which is much more "take it or leave it" than a science debate. And as far as I can see, there is no better way to beat critical alcoholism - and when someone comes through the door - like I did, twice, once in 1990 and again in 1996 - and is "put off" by the no-nonsense unambiguous "this is the way to do it" stuff - well, I simply wasn't sufficiently in crisis!