Thread: Left AA?
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2007, 10:19 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
doorknob
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by Emimily View Post
i don't believe in organized religion. none of it. there will not be a day where i will be convinced that christianity/judaism/islam/buddhism/hinduism/etc. is the way to go. there is no "right" way. just like there's no "wrong" way. there are just different ways. i get that from AA. yes, the big book was based on christianity. it was written in the 1930s, when christianity was just about all they could base a spiritual program on. despite that, there are some remarkably open-minded ideas in the big book. no, you won't find them in the chapter "to wives" (i am not a fan of "to wives", to say the least), but they're there if you read it. "to agnostics" is my favorite part of the big book, because it's about being open-minded. nothing more, nothing less.
'To Agnostics' is to most secularsts what 'To wives' is to women.

It's all about convincing us nonbelievers that it is irrational to not believe in some kind of interventionalist supernatural force.

From the AgnosticAA website:

Q. How do these groups make use of the Big Book?

A. Frankly, we don't use it very often. Most of our members find Chapter 4 ("We Agnostics") to be particularly condescending and not helpful to their sobriety. The A.A. publication we like the most is Living Sober, a work written from a more-secular point of view and offering much practical advice.