View Single Post
Old 06-06-2007, 06:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
BigSis
On a tear

I read about this a while back. I can't imagine who makes this... what sort of evil hearts they have.

My kid started using meth between 6th and 7th grades - she was 12 or 13 years old. She wanted to be thin like her friend's older sister. At 12, who has the ability to judge beyond the moment? To understand that body image is fleeting and impermanent, but that addiction is forever?

And these candies are aimed at our babies... 6, 7, 8 year olds. And the ones selling it to them won't be much older - just a year or so. And the ones getting them to sell won't be much older than them.

I cannot fathom how to protect our children in a society like this. It makes me want to run and hide. I see the schools locking children in and know that they are responding with the same fear I feel. But they are locking the dealers in with the buyers... they are all children, too.

I suppose if I had a baby now, I would want him home schooled... it is not panacea against addiction, but perhaps by keeping them out of society for a decade, we can at least give our children time to allow their brains to fully develop before they have an opportunity to damage them with drugs.

This hurts.