Thread: Marijuana
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2007, 12:39 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
raerae6

Red face

Originally Posted by tracee1010 View Post
I disagree that marujuana is different than cocaine or alcohol. What chemical agents a substance is created from is pretty irrelevant unless someone is looking to justify it. Any substance, used in exzorbanant amounts or abuse is dangerous, even deadly. In my opinion, based on my life experience, I see NO difference between weed and any other substance.
I do see a difference between Marijuana and other drugs as far as PHYSICAL effects and TOXICITY. NO ONE has ever died from Marijuana poisoning. Too much alcohol, cocaine, heroin ...etc. can lead to overdose and immediate death. I don't think that fact is COMPLETELY irrelevant. NOT trying in to argue-just putting in my two cents.

But i think if someone is addicted to something, no matter what it is, then that is where problems start.

In an anthropology book I have it says that all throughout history in every culture (excluding Eskimo/inuit) humans have found ways to alter their conciousness through plants. Many times this was limited to ritualized use for religious purposes. I think that is probably why one does not hear about addiction in times past. These things were strictly regulated by the cultures that used them. I was reading something about Mayan culture and they made some kind of booze, but no one was allowed to drink until they were 60 years old!

The book says that animals do this also. (Look at cats and catnip)

(DISCLAIMER) As one who has experienced horrible things as the results of drugs and alcohol both directly and indirectly I am NOT offering these things up as evidence that drugs are OK or anything. I just think that it is interesting, thats all.