Thread: Marijuana
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2007, 11:38 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Kimm992

Originally Posted by tracee1010 View Post
I disagree that marujuana is different than cocaine or alcohol. What chemical agents a substance is created from is pretty irrelevant unless someone is looking to justify it. Any substance, used in exzorbanant amounts or abuse is dangerous, even deadly. This includes steroids, food, ect... I know some people who smoke weed, drink occasionaly, and even only snort coke on the weekends. Some people are able to use it "recreationally" , ultimately I believe it is used as an escape from reality.
A vaction my be an "escape" as well, but it is not illegal, which then adds the danger of lives.
I am from a family of addicts and have stuggled with substance abuse (alcohol and pain pills) in the past. I have learned that for me, "sometimes" is not a good idea or safe, especially since i am a mother and am suppose to be setting a good example and role modeling for my son, His father is not able to as he is in active addiction.
He is a classic "Pot head", his use may have started out for fun, 10 years ago but now it is the center of his life. He smokes weed, like ciggarrettes. He also deals to support his habit. His choices and lifestyle around this drug.... has runied his life. He has nothing, wants nothing, works for nothing, and will be nothing until he decides to get help. In my opinion, based on my life experience, I see NO difference between weed and any other substance.

I don't disagree that anything used in large amounts is dangerous. I couldn't agree with you more.

I do think that chemical composition has a lot to do with it though. If we completely ignore chemical composition as a factor then does that mean one shouldn't drink coffee at all either? Of course not!!

The fact is (and I'm just stating fact, not trying to justify anything) the chemical composition of some drugs is much different than others and many drugs are much more LIKELY to become physically addictive than others. I smoke marijuana occassionally and have never had a problem...but would you ever see me use cocaine or heroin?? Never!! Why?? Because it is a fact that these drugs contain chemical agents that make them extremely physically addictive.

Unfortunately I don't think things are always one way or another or black and white. However, I think that for some people it is easier and safer for them to group all drugs into the category of "that's bad" because they feel safer not having a grey area to deal with (I'm not talking about you or anyone specific, just in general).

That said, everyone is different and I know people who have a big problem with marijuana and could be considered addicts and I also know people who smoke it occassionally and are not addicts at all.