View Single Post
Old 06-02-2007, 09:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Zencat
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Thumbs up Self-Efficiency in recovery

"Life is not easy for any of us. But what of that?
We must have perseverance and above all confidence in ourselves.
We must believe that we are gifted for something and that this thing must be attained." ~ Marie Curie ~

Having an attitude of self-efficiency helps me believe in my ability to take control, with in reason, of my recovery from addiction. Even when some of my expectations are not met I continue to be positive, confident, and accepting of myself. For me, being self-efficient means that I am willing to risk the disapproval of others because I believe in my own abilities. I don’t feel I have to conform to the expectations and standards of others in order to be accepted as unique individual with distinctive addiction recovery needs. I am free to choose which influences I allow to have an affect on my life. I rely on my own opinions of myself. I consider feedback from others, but I don’t rely on their opinions excessively. I depend on my own values in making decisions and decide for myself what is right for me to do. Being a highly self-determining person I invest more effort and persist longer than those who are low in self-determination . When setbacks occur, I recover more quickly and maintain the commitment to my goals. It is by my determination and accomplishments, with support, sober living skills and perseverance that I am sober today.

Feel free to add how your self-efficiency empowers your addiction recovery, the secular way.