Thread: Left AA?
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2007, 05:39 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Zencat
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

One important factor of my drug abuse recovery program and group experience is having my personally unique plan respected by others in recovery. Nothing turns me off faster than to hear someone say that their way, or that way, of doing recovery is the best way to get sober. I want to participate in a support group that respects and supports my choices for recovery. There are numerous roads to recovery and having the ability to freely share different ideas in a group would be refreshing. As addiction disorders research advances, so can treatment modalities. Imagine running a global business with 70 year old information processing technology today. Your competitors would run you into the ground. Sharing new ideas and information in a group without the fear of being lambasted or ridiculed (I tried this in an AA meeting once and was disgusted by the response I received) would be exceedingly rewarding. Having plenty of options to choose from works for me, if I get stuck in one particular phase of my or another program I want to have the option of trying some other healthy approach with group encouragement and support .