Thread: Left AA?
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2007, 12:09 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
GlassPrisoner

Tyler, you seem to understand AAs 12th step well. I truly believe that service is a huge part of recovery. To me, there is no higher calling for me than to help others recover. I'm saving lives by sharing my experience. Thinking of others is the exact opposite of what was at the core of my disease, selfishness.

As far as will. I don't pretend to know Gods will, but I'm, pretty sure He wouldn't have a problem with me staying sober, helping others stay sober, and raising my children. This IS a secular forum, so I'll leave it at that.

To the OP, funny you mention conformity. I was just contemplating that tonight. The old me, especially in my 20s, would have railed against conforming in any way shape or form. Yes, there's buzz words, and yes, they're thrown around (regurgitated) by those who have no understanding what they're saying. I'll tell you what though, I don't see anything wrong with acceptance , faith, surrender...et al. Also, we are just identifying that we share common problems, and common traits. You could argue we're just re-affirming dogma, but that hasn't been my experience. It's true that most of us are selfish, self centered, self-reliant, sensitive, grandiose and control freaks. It's nice to know one is not alone.

Lastly, the self-reliance aspect. I was so stubborn before coming into the program. If I didn't do it myself, why do it ? I was the guy who would push his car two blocks when it ran out of gas, declining help. "Nah, it's OK, I'll get it" followed by (boastfully) "Yep, pushed it here myself !". Wouldn't it be easier to let the 4 X 4 with the big bumper give me a push ? By someone whos pushed a few cars before ?