View Single Post
Old 05-25-2007, 07:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
BigSis
On a tear

What we did - my sponsor was the instigator - is we started a Saturday Women's group. It started out as pure Alanon, but as we got bigger (we started with about 8 and are now aobut 23 or 25), we added AA women as well.

We are a study group - we have studied mostly the traditions, a set that was rewritten for relationships and the steps. Oh my goodness - what an incredible difference to our recovery.

Our meetings are 2 hours long, we share some pretty intimate stuff (thus the no men rule) and we use the Traditions to guide our meeting structure (no crosstalk, no judgments, that sort of thing). We have added a potluck (figures, eh?) and meeting one time a month.

One person started this group.... just one.

The book we used initially was Paths to Recovery (Alanon) - we tried to read one step or one tradition at each meeting, then we copied the pages at the end of the chapter - put a question in the hat, and drew it out randomly, then answered whatever question we picked (leaving it up to HP... smile).

This has changed the relationship with my Alanon buddies SOOOO much. We are not alike, for many reasons, we would generally not run in the same social circles, we might not even encounter one another often in our daily dealings... we are very different. Yet these are the women I can call in an emergency... true friends who see the "real" me and respond to her with their "True selves".

These women and I share smiliarities that "earthpeople" cannot imagine. Recently I finally realized what folks were talking about when they said "unconditional love".

It didn't happen overnight, but the Saturday meeting is THE most important one I attend. Perhaps something like that could work for you?

I hope so. (((hugs)))