View Single Post
Old 05-20-2007, 02:43 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Wascally Wabbit
Power is not having to respond

I have a different story. When my oldest son started getting in all kind of trouble as a teenager, I was trying everything to educate him. I knew what he was headed for. I took him to the edge of town, homeless section and showed him what this stuff does to people. I offered to let him out of the car so he could get to know these people because they were going to become his "family" if things didn't change with him.

I then talked to a police officer who took my son to a jail that was actually no longer being used, it was empty. He let my son go into one of the cells and he shut the barred door, asking him what it felt like to be in a small cell and how would he like to be in that cell every day for years.

Also, I used to be a performer. I would do community service shows at the local mental hospital. I took him along. Many of the patients were drug users who had lost their ability to think and function. They were the ones slapping the backs of their heads and mumbling to themselves. (they got kicked to the streets every time there was a state cutback, and wound up in the previously mentioned part of town)
I tried everything to show him what drugs and alcohol do to people if they choose to do it.

In every instance of his "education", he would shrug it off as if it would never happen to HIM.
He's 28yrs old, still drugging and is now in jail.

I think, that even with all the education in the world, it won't make a difference if their eyes and hearts are not opened by it.