Old 05-19-2007, 03:44 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
greeneyedgirl

Originally Posted by teke View Post
greeneyedgirl, sorry about you bf but a lot of addicts were not raised in an addictive enviroment, i'm one of those that wasn't but i ended up a crack addict. i think curiosity is what got me, i tried it once, i just couldn't stop. i think with one time, i gave away my choice to stop on my own, i needed help. the first time i went to rehab it was out of fear and i really fought going. my ah dropped me off at detox at 3:oo am, and i was too afraid to walk 6 miles home in the middle of the night and i didn't have money for taxis fare, so i went in, scared to death of what i don't know, but i went in.

my mom never had friends over who dranked or at least not around us, she didn't go out, and at 7yro when my dad died, i don't know anything about her even dating again. she don't allow alcohol in her home at all, and growing up she was the same way. she was so protective of us, i couldn't go anywhere without a parent or teacher watching. we grew up almost 24/7 in church. how i became addicted, i just don't know other than i must have inherited the addictive gene. in my opinion, parents are not always at fault and neither is the enviroment that addicts are raised in. just my opinion.

I'm glad to hear that you were raised right but that is my point.......why? Why could doing something one time change the whole direction of your life? He always thinks he is in control but he hasn't been in control since he fell in love with the pipe. If he was raised without this, how am I going to raise my three kids who have been exposed to this? I totally don't blame the parents (in most cases) but I grew up in an alcoholic home so some bad behaviors were the norm for me. That's why people are more susceptible to the disease although it can happen to everyone.

It just pisses me off that people are always concerned with the addict but no one is scanning the brains of the codies or the double winners. Why are we wired to enable? Why do we fall for the perfect person who just happens to be addicted? I am tired of banging my head against the wall but I am learning that I have to change for the situation to change for the better.

Please don't take offense to anything I have written! I mean no disrespect and I am sure my thoughts are not coming out the way I mean them.