View Single Post
Old 05-18-2007, 06:09 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
mjs

I too am at a turning point. I put together and implemented a comprehensive cutting edge recovery program on 1-1-07. It was the first time in my life that I tried to stop for myself. I really threw everything I had into it and still could not do it. I can not seem to get far enough along in the recovery process where using seems less and less attractive that I just quit for good. I picked myself up and started over. But one starts to wonder if a harm reduction approach isn't a better goal. I know that it is heresy in the recovery movement and abstinence for most addicts should remain the goal. Each individual person has to decide for them selves the path they wish to travel. Sounds like you used common sense and practiced harm reduction by not drinking and driving. I think the overall trend of ones recovery is what needs to be worried about, if it works it works. I think its not so much what you are not doing but what you are doing. I don't listen to some in recovery when they push the insane and inhumane idea that people need to totally destroy their lives before they can recover. You might want to check out the book "sober for good", by Ann Fletcher. There is a chapter on moderation and some people who were serious alcoholics who are able to drink at special occasions and celebrations without returning to addiction in the long run. She in know way sugar coats or promotes moderation but found it far more prevalent than society acknowledes. Best of luck on your path.