Thread: 28 day programs
View Single Post
Old 05-17-2007, 08:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
teke
grateful rca

i agree with ann and secret mom, i think that no matter how long the stay is, its up to the individual to stay sober if they want to. the first time i got clean, i was clean 9 yrs before i relapsed and i only spent 7 days in detox. it was when i stopped going to meetings, working the program that i got complacent and relapsed. i think the 28 day programs are not enough but i also know people who have stayed yrs in the in house programs only to walk away and use. the programs are like schools, teaching all the tools needed and giving a start on the healing of emotional issues. helping the addict to learn how to live life on lifes terms without drugs, and space away from the drugs to do that or to learn to do that. it helps the addict to look at himself, hopefully taking away the reasons used to want to medicate with drugs. elliminate the pain and you take away some of the excuses to use. the real work comes after rehab, when they are on the outside.

there is a lot of fear in leaving that controlled enviroment. meetings, getting a sponsor and working the steps is one of the most important keys to recovery after rehab. it still all boils down to how bad the addict wants to recover and whether or not he is willing to do whatever he had already learned by going through rehab and meetings. it has to be a desprate commitment to staying clean and getting sober. i think i'm rambling now, so i'll just keep praying for you and yours