View Single Post
Old 05-16-2007, 04:19 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
leenymclaugh

My hubby has detoxed both at home and in the detox ctr. He deotxed in the van at the start of our family vacation last summer --we were driving from VA to OH, left on a Friday and he was sick ALL weekend -- (I wouldn't suggest this to ANYONE--very nerve wracking). This was in early August and he managed to stay dry until the end of the 10 day trip. Started up again and then checked himself into the detox ctr about a week after we got home. The thing is is that each time they stop and then start, the next time they detox it is much worse and on the flip side, at least for my hubby, his sobriety periods get longer (was sober from 8/21 or so until 12/16) and his relapse periods get shorter (12/16-2/5). He's been sober since Feb -- I have no idea if he's attending meetings or not -- for my sanity sake I have to stay totally out of his recovery this time (the last 4 times I was "how bout a meeting", "call your sponsor", etc.). I can say that whatever he's doing, he seems to be keeping at minimum a finger hold on sobriety -- is actions/attitudes/feelings are that of when he practices the principles. In Feb he called me at work and said he needed to go in -- bp was skyhigh, sweats, shakes, dizziness, etc. and I can't even begin to tell you how much he was actually drinking because he was a closet drinker. I know he'd wake up in the middle of the night to have a swig because he'd be shaking. The detox he had last year in May, the ER nurse said "i'm not supposed to tell you this, but have him drink on the way to the ER so that he can go to the detox ctr instead of the medical floor" because it IS that dangerous!

At any rate, for any of you who don't attend Al-Anon, I would highly suggest it -- my life has been ever changed -- and I do find I can be happy whether my hubby is drinking or not. Happiness is an inside job.

Take care and hugs,
Eileen

p.s. The last time he was in detox he was there for 7 days -- so it really does get worse each time!