View Single Post
Old 05-14-2007, 09:24 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
WhatAboutME

Thank you SF, that's what I thought about the Baker Act, and we already know about the Marchman Act. Hell, he has been in the Stuart Marchman center 2x in the past 60 days - Once in Bunnell and most recently in Daytona Beach. As a matter of fact, it was the Stuart Marchman Center in DB that d/c him from detox and he is on the "waiting list" for a bed. He doesn't have a history of mental illness, other than anxiety and ADD and drinking himself completely insane.

Even for those who have insurance, it has been my understanding that they will not authorize/approve resedential treatment beyond 30 days per year. What then? What about those patients who need long-term treatment that is well beyond 30 days? 90 days, 120 days +++

If his drinking and all the perks that go along with it aren't enough, his family and I are TRYING to deal with the frustration of getting him in treatment. Hello!?! He's actually willing to go, but if he doesn't get in soon, I honestly fear he will drink himself to death. He left my MIL's house really early this AM to "go the beach" which really means "go on a binge". Now he's gone. She's a wreck again. I fear this woman may have a nervous break down. It's one thing for a spouse, friend, etc. to detach from the A, but I imagine it must be unbearable for a parent to consider doing this to their child, even though it is out of love. She's just not there yet.