View Single Post
Old 05-11-2007, 11:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
andshewas

I am generally in favour of gentle, really, but sometimes the truth hurts. That wasn't very gentle, I know, but I will try to re-phrase it: There was not name calling, there was a good discussion. There are places to go specifically for spiritual or christian based discussions. I have not gone to either one, (for obvious reasons, though I am sure a lot of good stuff comes from those discussions, which is why they are there, so this is NOT meant as a slam or to start any kind of childish hoo and hah between the forumses) but wonder if they are held to the same standard? As in- would the Lutherans and the Catholics be required to keep it "non-denominational", or able to discuss the differences between their church views as it seems the Active and Passive (wrong word, I know) atheists are required to do?

I guess what I'm getting at (and I am willing to take your word for it here) is- are the same standards applicable accross the board, so to speak?

Again- some of the stuff we were discussing was very deep, and maybe not directly applicable to recovery except in that trying to apply your general views to recovery is going to happen no matter what your views are and I will re-iterate that finding people with similar views who are in similar situations can be very beneficial. The reasons are many, but one of the main ones for me is that you don't have to worry about saying something which is going to offend inadvertently (obviously, you should not be *trying* to offend)- your honesty with both your beliefs and situation are crucial to recovery. For many of us here, the god element is a drawback when trying to think about recovery. An honest recovery requires an honest life- be it recovery from addiction or co-dependent behaviour.

A safe and secure place is appreciated. Feeling that some things might just be disappeared right in the middle of provoking thought is a bit unsettling. ("Disappeared" might be a strong word. I have Argentinian relatives, so it is a bit of a sensitive issue. I am not comfortable with disappearances, people especially, but ideas as well.) (I am not saying I am traumatised, or that Peronists are running the board, but that it is uncomfortable.)

Last edited by andshewas; 05-11-2007 at 11:27 AM. Reason: mad typo skillz