Old 05-07-2007, 04:46 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
cagefree
I Finally Love My Life!!!

After I kicked my XABF out he decided to "get serious" about his recovery. I put that in quotes because he used these meetings and his recovery as a way to rope back any part of me he could, friendship included. I went to see him get his 6 month chip and we would go to meetings together - I did stop short of going to one he really wanted me to attend where he would tell his story (how he hurt me).

When I went with him to get his 6 month chip, I ran into his sponsor there (who used to be our couples counselor) who turned to me and said with an attitude, "Guess you decided to come and hang out with us alcoholics, eh?"

As soon as we were good friends again, it became all about him again and the demands came flying at me (talk to your counselor about being my girlfriend again, etc.), followed by promptly throwing me out of his life because we were incompatible (as friends mind you) when I wouldn't let him use me for sex.

Now, I feel weird about going back to my al-anon meetings, because some of the people who were at his meetings that he is friends with also attend my al-anon meeting. I'm afraid he will try to break the wonderful no-contact I've got going by using them to get to me, or asking them about me.

He would always refer to al-anon as the dark side or evil side, or some stupid negative slang, as a way to say to me that he did not want to go to any al-anon meetings. He backed this up by saying everyone in AA refers to it as this - which is false as I've gone to about 50 AA meetings over the years with him and I never once heard it spoken of that way, except from him.

It's up to you whether or not you want to go - just make sure you are working on your recovery too, not just his.

I'm still bitter about it...