View Single Post
Old 05-06-2007, 09:12 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Seeking Wisdom

So sorry to hear about your difficult situation. It is so tough with kids involved...it makes it so much harder to leave and you really don't want to take them out of their home.

I had to leave with the kids several times and stay in a hotel ... and when our relatives found out that we were forced to leave while my Ahusband stayed in our home...they were pretty upset with him, and let him know it. In some way, our families support helped to smooth the way in the future for him leaving and the kids and I staying. The kids had all their stuff, toys, games, videos at our home and their friends nearby .. and with all the upheaval, they needed to have familiar surroundings. Eventually I simply told my husband to leave for our children's sake if for no other reason...that exposing our children to the disruptive, chaotic, horrific behavior of alcoholism was very damaging and harmful ... and that until he could get sober, he could not stay here. Setting boundaries and enforcing them can be really, really tough, and I know it was not easy to get him to leave-there were many heated arguments ... but once he walked out that door, we could just feel the peace and serenity start to settle into our home again. Our lives once again became predictable and sane .. yes, there was always a certain level of uncertainty because with kids you cannot completely block the alcoholic parent out ...but it was an important step to regaining control over our lives.

Hopefully he will honor your request to leave ... and eventually get the help he needs to get sober.