Old 05-04-2007, 10:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
GhostInTheRuins

quantum theory, jerry lewis, and drinking

So, the many-worlds interpretation claims to resolve all paradoxes of quantum theory by allowing every possible outcome of every event to exist in its own history or world (paraphrased from wikipedia.)

This means that there's a universe where I'm not an alcoholic and Jerry Lewis never existed. At this point I'll settle for one where I'm still a drunk but there's no Jerry Lewis. Right now Jerry seems like a bigger threat to my well being.

I like old movies and there's one w/ Dean Martin on right now but Jerry is in it too and he's just agitating as hell, which is a bummer cause Dean sings really well. Sigh.

Seriously, the point I've lost my way in making is what seems like the un-avoidability of this 'disease.' I mean, by the time it occurred to me to change I was well past the point of doing so comfortably. Not to imply that I'm dwelling on the past, but I'd just to ask the versions of myself in alternative realities, "when and how did you stop, and is Jerry Lewis a universal plague?"

Perhaps I can be comforted by the notion that there's a version of me in another reality, already intoxicated to a Friday night standard, who gives me freedom to be sober in this reality. Thanks for reading and good luck.