Thread: His family
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2007, 05:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Macushla

His family

I live in a rural community which is very backwards and very very catholic and what goes on behind doors is likely to remain there - no matter how horrendous. When I met him, his mother wasn't altogether impressed, I am not Catholic nor am I Irish. However, I made a huge effort especially on account of her age (then 84) and being so set in her ways. We eventually got on and when my son came along we went to visit every week etc. All this changed when I asked him to leave. I was immediately ostracised (sp?) and so was my son. It is *a thing unheard of* because *generations of Irish women put up with it*, I was told *one just makes do* and *who am I to think I can just kick him out, have I no heart*?

He is the youngest son of seven children and was indulged from the get go. Not finacially as they were very poor back then but he got away with everything he did, even when he stole his fathers car at 12 yro and crashed it (blinding drunk) - it is a story they like telling at family reunions and they laugh about it...

He is a *functioning* alcoholic, always managed to hold down a job. So as long as he brings in money, what the hell am I complaining about?

Today his mother rang me. I had not heard from her in a long time. She let loose a tirade about how it was all my fault, how I made him drink again and that he was OK before he met me (not taking into account that he drank for 20 years straight before he went cold turkey without any support but locked himself into his cottage and did it alone. She spewed her rage at me and I did not know what to say...

She also said that I always put my animals before her son...

I try not to let it get to me but it is hard especially since I have no family left and his family is the only one my son has apart from my person...