Old 05-02-2007, 09:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
finallyout

Not sure if this answers your questions, but in my work in human resources I have learned that the ADA is about what "accomodations" the employers have to make for people with disabilities. I'm not sure a RA would need any accomodations at work??? The Family Medical Leave Act does protect them when going to inpatient treatment, but only at certain "medical facilities", which honestly the law is very vague there about what qualifies and what doesn't. And as someone who has hired (and fired) many individuals -NEVER bring up your personal issues. No matter how open minded your employer is they NEVER want to hear about alcoholism or drug addicition. Just keep it to yourself. It IS against the law for employers to base their hiring decision on whether or not your an addict but it is NOT against the law for them to just ASK. Of course, if they ask and you tell that you are a RA and they don't hire you, they will only cover their assess by claiming their decision was based on something else, so it is very difficult to claim discrimmination when it comes to that. Hope I helped.
Jenna