View Single Post
Old 05-01-2007, 09:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Ten Chips Down

Question

Thanks for trying to clarify.

Originally Posted by Morning Glory View Post
We have members of faith on this forum practicing secular recovery. We have members of AA on the forum practicing secular recovery.
Really? That seems a strange marriage! In fact, it seems a non sequitur. A member of AA who practices secular recovery? I... guess so. People of faith who do not invoke God's help in their recovery?? You lost me.

Originally Posted by Morning Glory View Post
I think you can have lively discussions without discrediting other beliefs or recovery methods. Discussing that you don't believe in God and how you approach recovery and life without faith is very different than saying something like all those who believe in God are uneducated. See the difference?
Oh, yes I sure do. When did anyone come out and denigrate another member on here, though? I don't recall that happening. Not just the calling people uneducated--I don't recall seeing any personal remarks like that in the discussions I took part in.

General opining such as "Faith and reason are forever irreconcilabe" is just that, stating an opinion. It is not mocking or discrediting. (At least I didn't think so: It simply states that because faith is blind acceptance, it is fundamentally different from any worldview based upon reason, which entails asking questions and challenging established notions.)

Hey, good morning.
Glory.

Ten