View Single Post
Old 05-01-2007, 03:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
tyler
Not all better, getting better

We're all here for the same reasons

I really enjoy this forum... when it's working well. Too often it seems to fall into arguments about who's way is the best, 12-step, secular, god, no god, etc. When it comes right down to it, we all come to this site for the same reason. We have a problem that we need help with. Every person is different, and I believe every person's road to recovery is unique as well.

I know one thing I have a tendency to do is to overcomplicate things. In it's most basic form, sobriety is really not that tough to achieve, just don't injest intoxicating substances. I know we could get into a discussion over whether that is "true" sobriety or just abstinance, but again, that is complicating things, at least for me. What I need to do is NOT USE UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. If going to NA meetings helps, good. If contributing online helps, good. If attending online meetings with Lifering of SMART helps, good. Or perhaps it's just finding the right mix of all of them. All that really matters it that I don't use, no matter what.

I guess my point is, if I really have one, that instead of debating what works best, who's program is best, etc. Lets just take anything helpful from any program, and make it work for us! I really don't care if I'm "working the program of NA (or SMART or Lifering)" correctly, I just need to find what works for me. Thanks for listening guys.