Thread: Falling apart
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2007, 05:18 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
tropikgal2

There are so many issues concerning pain, REAL pain. My RAH had Crohn's disease years ago. SInce then he has/had an undetermined stomach disorder (IBS?) and being in the hospital on demerol triggered his re-addiction to heroin. When he was in active addiction (I didn't know he was using) he had "attacks" all the time, a couple were legitimate, and (I think) most were due to self-induced withdrawal (so he got get high again) or because he couldnt' get his DOC. I think the thing with pain meds is that most of the commonly prescribed ones are opiate based which, as we all know, opioids are highly addictive. They cause your brain receptors to change shape to accept the opioid instead of your brain's own pain-relieving chemicals. So, when you don't take your meds, your brain can't work like it is supposed to and you end up being in even MORE pain than you would be to begin with!! It is a vicious cycle. There ARE non-narcotic pain prescription pain relievers on the market, but the opioid based drugs are so cheap, it is what most docs prescribe. Thank you Afghani farmers, Taliban, and US drug companies..... dont' get me started.........