View Single Post
Old 04-30-2007, 03:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
laurie6781
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Jsjam, first let me say welcome to SR. I am sorry for the reasons you have to be here, but happy that you have found us in your time of need.

Those of you that are sober now, what finally made you quit?
For me it was death. As I posted in another thread I reached a point that I knew without a doubt if I kept drinking and using I was going to die and that if I tried to quit I was going to die, however, I wanted to die sober. I stopped right then and there put the plug in the jug and threw the drugs away.

The next day I was in the ER seizuring all day with heart stoppages. My BAC was .38 and my body was craving more alcohol and God knows what else. After I was down (heart stoppage) for 28 minutes the DR was writing the TOD on my chart when my heart started on it's own.

I knew I had been given a second and probably last chance, and there was no way I was going back to live in the HELL I had lived in for 24 years.

What I know is that they get it when they get it.... and LOTS of addicts 'want' sobriety very much. But until they are willing to give EVERY THING... every. single. thing. to the pursuit of it, it seldom happens - especially with that drug.
Big Sis said it very well!!!

Please keep posting and let us know how YOU are doing, we do care very much.

Love and hugs,