Old 04-29-2007, 09:00 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
laurie6781
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Narbekker, first let me say WELCOME to SR, you have found a great place with lots of Experience, Strength and Hope (ES&H) to share.

Now to your AH. As a recovering alkie/addict with almost 26 years sober and clean I have to say he is feeding you a line of BS. Tell him since he cannot seem to contribute his fair share of just the household expenses, he should go live with his sponsor. At 6 months clean he has no business even attempting to sponsor, yet alone someone of the opposite sex.

He is BSing you. Do not stand for it. Say what you mean to him and MEAN WHAT YOU SAY. Set the boundaries. He has to take responsiblity for him and his responsibilities (his family).

Yes, I have sponsored some men, however, they were gay. And I have known of some men sponsoring women, lesbian women, but not in early recovery. He is still using his addict ways to try and manipulate you.

Have you been to any Naranon, or Alanon meetings (alanon meetings are usually more plentiful and easier to find). You really need to worry about you, your child, and the one on the way.

I would suggest making dinner for you and your child and telling him when he contributes to buying groceries you will be happy to make him dinner. If it were me, I wouldn't do his laundry. Tell him to buy his own laundry detergent and go to the laundromat until he contributes for the utilities etc.

Why he is not working is beyond me. Every one I know in recovery who sponsors people insists that one of the first things they do besides going to meetings is to GET A JOB. It's called:

"Being Self Supporting through our OWN CONTRIBUTIONS."

Please, please seek councilling for yourself and try some Naranon and/or Alanon meetings.

You are not alone. Please keep posting and let us know how YOU are doing, we do care very much!!!

Love and hugs,