Old 04-28-2007, 04:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
teke
grateful rca

hi, welcome to sr, glad you found us, hate the circumstances. i'm a recovering addict and i think that its important that your husband continues his meetings and i think that its good that he sounds so commited to them, but usually it is highly suggested that sponsors should be of the same gender, and it usually is suggested that a newly recovering addict find a sponsor not be a sponsor. i was wondering too, about him not working, you are not responsible for taking care of him.

maybe its time to set some boundaries around him working and him being a sponsor, especially since it seems to be causing you to feel uncomfortable. make it something that you can stick to, say what you mean and mean what you say, and somehow be prepared to back up your decision. come up with a plan b for your life, just in case you need one,

the program is one of honesty and self sufficiency, i pray that he contines in his recovery. in my opinion, 6 months is not enough time to call it quits, i had 9yrs and relapsed. addiction is a life time thing and so is recovery, it can't be cured only arrested and that depends on the choice that the addict make.

i think that its time for you to take care of yourself, decide what you can or can not live with, come up with a plan b, just in case you need one, a relapse can happen without notice to you or to the addict, try to prepare yourself. i'm so sorry that you are going through all of this, life can get better for you, with or without your addict, you deserve so much more, but it may be up to you to reach for the more, keeping you and your husband in my prayers