View Single Post
Old 04-25-2007, 07:39 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bv1979

First off, I'm not minnie, but I'll answer...

"SR" = Sober Recovery - this wonderful website you found your way to.

So, I think I can give you some insight on this one, as I'm currently in a relationship with a recovering alcoholic. Search for some of my other posts to see some of the isolated issues I've come up against in this if you please - but here's my thoughts...

My girlfriend is a wonderful, strong, amazing woman. But one of the things I've learned quicker than anything when dealing with her is that she does not know how to show or handle her emotions. She supressed them with her disease for so long that she now views showing her emotions as a sign of weakness.

When she gets overwhelmed with stresses in her life, she just needs her space - and even though at times it can come out of nowhere - even at times when we had plans to go do something - you just HAVE to give it to her. These are all things that, as much as we want to be there for them, they have to face on their own. We can't hold their hands through their recovery - all we can do is be supportive in whatever way they need us to.

But what's even more important than their wants and needs are OUR wants and needs, because if WE aren't okay, then it's not a good relationship for us to be in. I would highly recommend going to Al-Anon more than just "here and there," and make it a regular thing. Growing up around the disease, I'm sure you have a fairly decent handle on how it can affect people - in recovery or not - and can leave you, someone who loves an A, feeling very lonely at times. The biggest thing I've gotten from both Al-Anon and this website is a feeling that I'm NOT alone in my feelings, emotions and struggles that arise because of my relationship with her.

I'm sure everything will work out for you and your gf the way it's supposed to - even if it doesn't seem like it at first. If she's telling you she needs space, then as hard as it may seem to be, it's truly your only option. If the relationship was meant to be, it won't be a permanent thing.