View Single Post
Old 04-23-2007, 09:53 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
queenteree
Recovering Nicely

My AH (the one with alcoholic liver disease) takes 2 or 3 ambien CR's and drinks (like 20-25 beers), when he's out of that he takes 2 or 3 advil PM's and drinks 20 or so beers, both of which you're not supposed to mix with alcohol and because of his liver disease, he's not supposed to have advil because he has low platelets and advil can make them go lower, along with alcohol, and he still does all that. Again, they will do what they want to do and take chances they shouldn't take, and I hate to say this, but somehow they always turn out alright. I used to worry, count and hide the ambien, advil pm's, etc., now I just let him do what he wants and let the chips fall where they may. It's not my responsibility to babysit him and make sure he doesn't overtake his meds. I used to go with him to all his dr. appointments, making sure the dr. knew how much and how often he drinks, and what happened, we'd argue each time in front of the dr. and he'd downplay it. Since he was the patient, the dr. would "poo poo" me. Now I don't even bother to go or remind him of his follow ups. He's grown, he should know what he has to do, and if he doesn't care, why should I? It's not my place to, nor can I, fix him. The only one I can fix is me and that's exactly what I'm doing. Please, take the time to focus on you and take care of you.